Joey Boukadakis is founder of strategy advisory firm, General Specific. He works with CEOs of new media, tech, and web3 companies with a focus on creative strategy. Prior to General Specific, Joey was co-founder of Wheel Video, a mobile video technology startup acquired by Tinder / IAC in 2018. Beginning his career in entertainment, Joey worked in various marketing and creative development roles at MTV, Warner Brothers, Disney, MGM, Paramount, HBO, and Comedy Central. He graduated from the University of Southern California with a BA in Film and Media Studies and an MFA in Creative Writing and Journalism. He is an active angel investor and lives in Los Angeles.
Advisor Spotlight: 15 Questions with Joey Boukadakis
1. How long have you been a member of Joyride Games?
I’ve been fortunate enough to work with Omar across several initiatives over the past few years. He’s one of the smartest, most creative CEOs I work with, and I’m excited to collaborate on achieving his truly awe-inspiring vision for Joyride.
2. What’s your favorite part of being a member of Joyride Games?
Undoubtedly the team. Omar and Maysam have assembled an all-star bunch of creative and technical rockstars working to create blockbuster web3 games and beyond. And having industry pro Michael Waite join as VP of Creative is a big get.
3. What's your role?
4. What do you love most about this industry, web3 gaming?
Ownership and interoperability are my love language.
5. How do you define success?
Being able to explain what web3 is to my parents and them understand it.
6. Who inspires you?
Anyone brave and daring enough to start a company.
7. If you could choose anyone as a mentor, who would you choose and why?
Walt Disney. He knew how to commercialize and scale magic without destroying it in the process.
8. What advice would you give to someone who wants to enter your field?
Add value in the first five minutes.
9. What’s one thing — industry-related or not — you learned in the last month?
Tech stocks sometimes go down. Who knew?
10. What’s something about you (a fun fact) that not many people know?
As a film student at USC, I managed to sneak into the esteemed entrepreneurship program (reserved for business students only) by pretending I was filming a semester-long documentary about the program.
11. What is your favorite hobby?
12. What’s the next place on your travel bucket list?
13. Are you currently binge-watching any shows?
Finished (and loved) “The Rehearsal” and now binge-watching every episode of “Nathan for You”.
14. What would it be if you had to eat one meal every day for the rest of your life?
Do Twizzlers count as a meal? (And don’t come at me with any of that ‘Red Vines are better’ nonsense).
15. What’s one item you can’t live without?
We hope you enjoyed this month's Advisor Spotlight! If you'd like to learn more about Joey, read his Forbes article here.